August 16th is the day for seeing off the spirits of our ancestors. On this day, the sound of Taiko drums roars in Nishimonai of Ugo town. Well dressed kids perform Bon dancing on the main street to celebrate the opening of the 3-day-long Bon dancing festival.
This festival started about 700 years ago. Since first performed in Tokyo in 1935, the unique style of dancing had been established. In 1981, it was recorded as Japan’s important intangible folk-cultural property.
In the hope of rich harvest, people dance with ancestors spirits. The majestic dancing and singing, and the fantastic dress of dancers are worth watching.
- Event date
- August 16th - 18th
- Nishimonaino Bon Dnacing Festival Executive Committee
- Ugo town Nishimonai Aza Honcho street
- Ugo town Nishimonai Aza Honcho
- The number of bleachers
- About 600 seats
- Bleachers Rates
- 2,000 yen
- Propriety of bleachers Pre-registration
- Partly available
- Bleachers in advance How to Apply
- Group discount rate of bleachers
- Number of car spaces
- 520 cars
- Parking Fee
- Standard sized car:1000yen, Micro Bus:7000 yen, Big Bus:12,000yen
- Corresponding at the time of bad weather
- The place will be changed to Ugo town Gym